Saturday, April 28, 2012

Birchbox Product Reviews

     Now that I have used almost everything in my Birchbox (except the fashion tape) its time to post my reviews. I did not get a chance to use the fashion tape and didn't want to wait longer to review because my Urban Decay order is arriving soon and I don't want to fall behind. Now to begin.


     I'm going to start with the Befine moisturizer and exfoliating cleanser because these were the largest product samples.






     The exfoliating cleanser contained a decent amount of product, however it was rather difficult to get out of the pouch so depotting it proved to be a little difficult. I just used the entire pouch each time I used it. The exfoliator was surprising because it started out very gritty, but it foamed up a bit and the grittines wore off the more you rubbed it around. I liked using it, but was a bit disappointed with how my skin felt afterward. I expected it to leave my skin a lot smoother than it did, however I like an aggressive exfoliator. This product would work great for someone with more sensitive skin because it is effective while still being gentle. It contains oats which are great for calming sensitive skin. It also contains brown sugar which is a great exfoliator that dissolved in hot water and sweet almond which is another good exfoliating media. It is also a natural product with vegetarian proteins that is allergen and fragrance free which once again makes it a great product for sensitive skin. At $25 it is a little expensive, however if you have sensitive skin it may be worth it.
    
     The two moisturizer pouches came with a very generous amount! I depotted it into a jar and have enough moisturizer for a month, possibly more. It contains SPF 15 which is always a plus and while it has a faint smell of sunscreen at first it fades to a fresh smell that reminds me of the beginning of summer. It doesn't leave you feeling greasy and melds into your skin very nicely. I've been using it for a week and my skin still feels hydrated at the end of the day. Just like the exfoliating cleanser, this product is also natural without fragrance and parabens. I can see this moisturizer working for all different skin types and it lasts a pretty long time. At $25 a bottle and how long you can stretch this product, I definitely recommend it.




     This fragrance is Viva La Juicy by Juicy Couture and came with enough for more than a few applications. I like the scent because it's not overpowering and wears rather light. However, I felt it faded pretty fast and wouldn't last throughout a whole day. I love the notes of wild berries, mandarin, honeysuckle, gardenia, jasmine, amber, sandalwood, caramel, vanilla and praline, but I would have liked more of the wild berries and florals and a little less of the more musky smells like amber and sandalwood. It's a great combination, I just would tweak the ratios a bit. While the smell is nice, at $69 a bottle I'm not sure I would recommend this product.




    
     The next sample is a small vial of Shu Uemura Essence Absolue leave in oil for dry hair. Some stylists have referred to this product as "liquid gold". My hair is long and fine, but for being fine it is a little thick and naturally curly/wavy. I do not color my hair and I don't use heat styling tools very often. I like most serums and light oils, so I was excited to use this. Normally I use Moroccon Argan Oil by Organix and love it. While this product definately made my hair shiny and soft, it didn't feel that different from when I use the argan oil. I could see it being very nourishing and good for color treated or heat damaged hair. Because it is an oil and you should use them sparlingly to avoid your hair looking greasy, you could definately make this product last. I would reccomend this product, however at $68 a bottle I suggest purchasing it from a vendor that has a good return policy in case you don't like it.








     Last product is the Stila eye shadow card. These are great natural colors and give you your lid color, contour color and high lighter with enough product for about two applications depending on how you apply. Stila makes great eye shadows with great pigment, especially when used with an eye shadow primer. My only complaint is the colors are a little tame and neutral for my taste. I can definitely wear natural makeup, however I love the bold and experimental so not much of my makeup time is used doing natural looks. Regardless, I recommend Stila eye shadows and suggest purchasing a palette for the best value.


    
    So far, I'm very glad I decided to subscribe to Birchbox and I can't wait for my next one! Like I said before, if you know a girl/woman that loves makeup and beauty products this makes a great gift. After surfing the Birchbox site a little more I discovered they are offering Birchbox for men. All in all I am very pleased. Stay tuned for my next post on primers and the difference they make in your cosmetic application.



No comments:

Post a Comment